Who organises new services for my new house?


  1. Before you start work
    Before starting any demolition or new building works, the owner or the builder must organize a “Dial before you dig” report for the property which will outline all the existing services connected to the property and the location of all the services directly surrounding the property. This is particularly important if there are any “common” services shared with the adjoining properties such as a “common sewer” or “common Telstra” lead-in cable etc.

    Prior to starting the demolition of an old house or for a renovation, the property owner must organize to have the power and gas services disconnected or abolished from the property.  This can be done by contacting the power and gas retailer by phone or online and this process usually takes about 3 to 4 weeks.
  2. During the planning process
    1. Sewer plan. The architect or building designer needs to apply for a “sewer plan” from the local water & sewer authority (i.e. South East Water / Melbourne Water / Yarra Valley Water etc.). The sewer plan will show the location of the sewer drain servicing the property including the boundary trap (B.T.) location and depth.
    2. Storm water plan or “Legal point of discharge” (L.P.O.D.).  The architect or building designer needs to apply to the local Council for a L.P.O.D. or storm water plan which will show where the storm water drain discharges the storm water from the property. This is very important for the design of the new house or renovation because the storm water drainage levels or heights must be taken into account and allowed for in the early stages of the house design.  If the storm water drainage system is not property designed, it can have long term detrimental effects on the house and the garden. We recommend that the storm water drainage system is designed by a Civil Engineer if it involves underground storage tanks or pumping systems.
  3. Start of the building process.
    1. Application for sewer / water. Before the plumber can start the underground sewer works, the owner or builder must apply for a “P.I.C. number” (Property Identification Code No.) from their local sewer and water authority (i.e. South East Water, Melbourne Water, Yarra Valley Water etc.).  You will need the plumber’s registration number for the P.I.C. (“sewer works application”) and the plumber must book a mandatory inspection with the V.B.A. (Victorian Building Authority) for all underground sewer works.
  4. Middle of the building process
    1. Electrical mains.  Once the new frame of the house is completed, the owner or builder must apply for the “new electrical connection” with the local electrical distributor (i.e. United Energy, Citipower, Jemena etc.).  For this application, you will need to know what type of electrical mains you are applying for – underground connection or overhead connection and – single phase or three phases? You will also need your electrician’s registration number.
    2. Gas mains. At frame stage, the owner or builder needs to apply for a “new gas service line” into the property from the local gas distributor. There are three gas distributors in Victoria (Aust. Gas Networks, Multinet Gas and AusNet), each is responsible for a separate geographic area.
      Note: to check your local power and gas distributor, visit the AER, Australian Energy Regulator website. You will need the plumber’s registration number and the size of the gas supply required (total megajoule rating calculated by adding up the MJ’s for each gas appliance being installed).
    3. Telecommunications connection. (Phone, internet & Foxtel) With the rollout of the NBN in Victoria, the application process for a new phone / broadband connection to a new house or renovation has become a lot more complicated.  So, we recommend using a “Telecommunication Consultant” who will charge approximately $400.00 but will organize the whole process and save the owner and the builder a lot of time and frustration.
    4. Storm water connection. The owner or builder needs to apply to the local Council for a “storm water connection and road opening permit”, prior to the plumber connecting the new storm water drainage system into the main drain or kerb and channel in the street.  The plumber must book an inspection with the Council drainage engineer when doing the storm water connection.
  5. End of the building process
    1. Gas meter installation. Once the plumbing works have been finished and all gas appliances have been fitted off; the plumber must apply to the preferred gas retailer for a “gas meter installation”. The plumber must provide a “V.B.A. Compliance Certificate number” with this gas meter application and the property owner must open an account with the gas retailer.
    2. Water meter installation. If the old water meter on the property is not being reused, the plumber will need to apply for a new water meter to be installed by the local water authority.
    3. Permanent power connection. Once all the new electrical works have been completed, the owner or builder must apply for a “new power connection” with the preferred electrical retailer.  The electrician must provide an E.W.R. (“Electrical Works Request”) form to the electrical retailer and the owner must open a customer account with the electrical retailer.  The energy retailer will then issue a “works order” for the energy distributor to install the new power meter and the power to be permanently connected to the property.
      Note: this process usually takes about four weeks.


Share this via

Website Security Test